Homeowners and business owners often don’t recognize the inner workings of how their plumbing operates. Frequently, life goes on as normal without any problems. However, there are those one-off moments where your property experiences a slab leak. You feel completely helpless.
A leak in the pipes and plumbing within your homes slab foundation, is a slab leak. When one of those pipes bursts, a slab leak occurs. Leaks that occur on the pressure side of the plumbing are most common in newer homes build in the last 20 years. They are easier to detect because you’ll hear the water leaking or notice a considerable increase in your water bills. Cleanup and repair is easier and less expensive if the leak is detected and repaired before the water seeps under the slab. Once the water has filled up the area under the slab, serious damage may occur. The water continues to seep into along cracks all over the house.
Leaks that occur on the drainage side of the plumbing are most common in older homes. These leaks aren’t as easy to detect. In fact, they can leak for years without causing visible signs. As the leak continues over time. The foundation of the home may buckle and as it settles. The foul smell of exposed mold and mildew may permeate the home.
Any signs of a slab leak should be addressed immediately. The longer a pipe leaks, the larger the scale of damage and more intrusive the repair. Here are some signs of slab leaks:
- Dark spots, wet spots, or warm spots on the floor.
- Visible cracks in the home’s foundation, floors, or walls.
- Mildew or mold growing underneath carpeting.
- Low water pressure not due to the regulator valve.
- A water heater that runs incessantly.
- A cold water faucet that delivers hot water.
- Running water even when all taps are shut off.
- Water meter activity even when there’s no water running in the house.
- A sudden inexplicable increase in water bills.
Please call Express Plumbing Service if you suspect you have a slab leak. Leaks won’t go away on their own and they will only get worse over time.